Strategic foresight supports businesses with decisions sensitive to market conditions making them strong enough not just to withstand any situation but also guide them in grabbing any opportunity.
The Corner of Influence today is proud to have a rendezvous with Nitin Shah, CMD of Allied Digital, whose ability to probe the future has delivered success in any available market behaviour. His need to ‘know the next’ wrote the journey of success for Allied Digital Services Ltd, a company started in 1984 with a team of 3 employees to a team of 3000 people across 70 countries, as of today.
Delineated below is his phased out strategic positioning of ADSL from the time of inception. Each phase of business is termed as ‘version’ driving a business aspect.
Version 1.0 -1984-1993: Profit Driven
• Supporting mainframes of IBM/ICL/Digital equipment (DEC)and Data general
• Supported data entry machines
• In 1987 joined the PC bandwagon
• Networking and communications focus
• Managing lifecycle of products and services
• Grew from a team of 3 to 150 people
Version 2.0 - 1994-2001 : Value Driven
• Standardized vision, mission, and core values
• Created C-suite for each specialized function –CEO/CIO/COO/CFO/CTO etc.
• Delegated to C suite for its core function to continuously creating the intrinsic value of the company
• Expanded geographical presence and established Direct to client support model.
• Achieved stupendous growth with several awards and accolades.
Version 3.0 - 2001-2007 : Strategy Driven
• Dotcom bubble burst
• IT industry in recession
• Discontinued end stage Lines of Business
• Industry was laying off people but Allied Digital increased manpower to grow business on strength of healthy annuity revenue from large sized IT infrastructure contracts.
• Created compelling valuations to attract funding for further expansion plans and launch IPO.
Version 4.0 - 2007-2013 : Inorganic growth Driven
• Maiden IPO in 2007 oversubscribed 69 times
• QIP in 2009
• Created robust back-office system by deploying best technologies
• Established global delivery center in Mumbai, NOC & SOC
• Strategic purchase of Digicomp Pvt Ltd in 2008; sold in 2013 at 7 times acquisition value
• Acquired NASDAQ listed US company Enpointe‘s service division
• Recruited experienced core team to scale up and scale out the business
Version 5.0 - 2013 – 2019 : Transformation Driven
• Pre-empted major shift in IT computing environment with the advent of Cloud mobility
• Reoriented the business to make it next-gen ready
• Increased Global footprint
• Adopted tools and technology and shared model for matured service delivery
• Skilled up the entire team in next gen technology
• As a result of transformation bagged path-breaking Pune City Surveillance project of Rs.225 crore under GOI initiative of Digital India
• Achieved market leader status in Safe and smart city projects which is expected to be $50 Billion opportunity in India.
• Successfully executed the path breaking Pune and Pimpri Chinchwad Safe City project in 2015 and bagged Rajkot , Bidkin , Aurangabad , Kalyan-Dombivali Smart City projects which are under execution with more such projects in pipeline
• Expanded global footprint to 70 countries with subsidiaries in US, Canada, Brazil, UK, Europe, Singapore, Australia, Japan, and China
Version 6.0 – 2020 onwards : Disruption Driven
• Adopt newer disruptive technologies to result into disruption in business models by leveraging internet capabilities, cloud computing, social media, big data Analytics, Blockchain, AI/ML etc.
• Focus on urgent need for business models to get transformed using emerging technologies to make businesses more personalized, cost efficient, profitable and thrive
• Allied Digital is positioning itself to be a major player as Global Digital Transformation Architect focusing on B2E/B2G , Smart Cities and other IP based solutions.
• Started incubation center to support start-ups
The efforts have resulted into healthy growth in revenue on a YOY basis. In version 6.0 Allied Digital has adopted newer disruptive technologies to result into disruption in Client business models by leveraging cutting edge technologies.
In 2021 the prestigious World Economic Forum (WEF) has admitted Allied Digital as a new 2021 champion. This opens opportunities for Allied Digital to be a part of global initiatives at the Forum which includes leading organizations across the globe. Allied Digital will harness its unique expertise towards the betterment of society and further propelling the fourth industrial revolution.
New Champions are a group of 100+ dynamic, high-growth companies that are applying new business models and emerging technologies in their everyday work. The New Champions program is one of the latest, exciting developments in the group’s rich history where technology companies can make a difference to the world in the coming years.
The current service portfolio ranges from digital workspace services, digital enterprise infrastructure transformative solutions, and cybersecurity services, cloud services and support, to multilingual, multi-channel service desks.
The Corner of Influence is thankful to Mr. Nitin Shah for speaking to us and offering his valuable thoughts. We are also thankful to Mr. Hiral Shah from The E Today's team and Mr. Atul Gulati of Allied Digital for articulating and drafting his conversation with Mr. Shah.